FoCo Cafe opened on Thanksgiving Day in 2014. But that is not where the journey began. The co-founders, Jeff and Kathleen Baumgardner, began working to open the Cafe in 2012.
FoCo Cafe was incorporated in the State of Colorado on June 10, 2012. The first donation was an ice machine in that same month. People continued to donate kitchen equipment and within months their garage was full of supplies. It took 2 1/2 years from concept to opening the doors of the Cafe, but through community support, hard work and a few miracles, the Cafe opened with no debt.
Here is a basic timeline of FoCo Cafe’s journey to 70,000 meals:
- June 10, 2012 – Feeding Our Community Ourselves, Inc. is incorporated in Colorado
- July 26, 2012 – Cafe received its first grant from the Food Chain Workers Alliance
- November 2, 2012 – First pop up event – Face of the Food Chain Photo Exhibit
- July 21, 2013 – FoCo Cafe’s
- Throughout 2013 – The search is on for FoCo Cafe’s location
- August 6, 2014 – Lease is signed for 225 Maple Street and deconstruction begins
- November 27, 2014 –FoCo Cafe Opens on Thanksgiving 2014
- June 8, 2015 – Ribbon cutting and grand opening of the Cafe box gardens
- June 15, 2015 – Cafe offers series of creativity classes
- February 15, 2016 – The Giving Tree is launched
- June 1, 2016 – Pilot of Kids Feeding Kids Summer Family Breakfast Program kicks off
- August 12, 2016 – FoCo Freedge is launched
- September 30, 2016 – FoCo Cafe presents at TedX PeachTree
- November 18, 2016 – Release of FoCo Cafe Garden and Recipe Book
- November 23, 2016 – Kindness Cupboard opens at FoCo Cafe
- November 27, 2016 (Thanksgiving) – Most community members served in one day at 144
- 50,000th meal served – March 7, 2016
- April 17, 2018 – FoCo Cafe’s Little Outdoor Library was introduced
- May 31, 2017- kick off our our second year of the Kids Feeding Kids Summer Family Breakfast Program
- July 23, 2017- FoCo Cafe’s 5th annual Bike-In Music Festival @ Shire CSA
- July 31, 2017 – Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and introduction of the FoCo Cafe Hydration Station.
- August 1, 2017 – Co-founders Jeff and Kathleen Baumgardner passed on the Cafe to new leadership
- November 23, 2017 – Thanksgiving Day 2017- FoCo Cafe’s Third Anniversary
- December 5, 2017 – FoCo Cafe’s 5th annual Party with A Purpose at Odell’s Brewing Co.
- December 14, 2017 – FoCo Cafe introduces Doug Schwartz, to the FoCo Cafe team as Cafe Chef.
- December 22, 2017 – FoCo Cafe’s special holiday meal- serving 135 meals in 3 hours
- February 1, 2018 – FoCo Cafe introduces new volunteer opportunities to help with serving lunch and move closer to long term sustainability.
- February 17, 2018 – FoCo Cafe’s new Giving Tree is introduced offering more space but the same heart-warming concept.
- March 5, 2018 – 70,000th meal served at FoCo Cafe!
There is so much more to come, We can’t wait to celebrate many more meals with the community!
Join 94-3 The X at one of our favorite local lunch spots, the FoCo Cafe, for Colorado Gives Day 2017. We’ll have your shot at winning a signed Weezer guitar, too! [Read More]
Thanksgiving is a big deal at FoCo Café. It marks the pay-what-you-can restaurant’s busiest day of the year, and this year was its third anniversary.
It goes without saying: Thanksgiving is the best holiday for food. For those who don’t want to toil in the kitchen all morning (or for those who accidentally burned the turkey), don’t worry! You can still enjoy a holiday meal with all the fixings in Northern Colorado. [Read More]
Click on the link below to hear the podcast: